AVAILABLE:While Fuji apples are generally harvested in late September, they are also blessed with a relatively long shelf life compared with other apple varieties.
ABOUT:The Fuji apple was created in Japan in 1930 by crossing a Ralls Janet and a Red Delicious. For being relatively young to American markets, Fuji apples have become one of the most popular apple varieties. In fact, American orchardists produce more Fujis than Japanese orchards in order to fill the demand.
TASTE & RIPENESS:Fuji apples are crisp, crunchy and fairly sweet. They are relatively low in acidity, and give off a scent that is warm and autumnal. Their flesh is bi-colored with red and yellow vertical stripes along the sides. Apples are harvested at their peak, and then put into cold storage to maintain that perfect level of ripeness. When you receive delicious Fuji apples from The Fruit Company, they'll be ready to eat, no waiting required.
RECIPE:CHICKEN CURRY SALAD:
This tastes like a fruit salad and chicken salad combined. The curry and sesame seeds make this exotic and flavorful. I made this in 15 minutes for lunch today!
- 1 (12½ ounces) can chunk chicken breasts
- ½ cup celery, diced
- 1 medium Fuji apple, chopped
- 1 cup pineapple chunks, drained
- 2 tablespoons plump raisins
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- 5 tablespoons mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Combine chicken, celery, apple, pineapple, raisins and 1½ teaspoons of the sesame seeds in a large bowl.
- Mix mayonnaise, curry powder and salt.
- Pour mayonnaise over chicken mixture and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with remaining sesame seeds.
- Serve by itself or over a bed of greens.
Recipe courtesy Recipes Wiki. View more images and information about this recipe at The Fruit Company's Blog.
MORE INFORMATION:Pumpkin Soup with Chili Cran-Apple Relish
March Madness Fruit Matchup