AVAILABLE:Jonagold apples are typically harvested in September and are best enjoyed within a few months as they tend to lose some of their firmness with extended cold storage.
ABOUT:The Jonagold apple gets its name from its heritage – a cross between a Jonathan & Golden Delicious. It debuted in 1968, a product of the New York State Agricultural Experiment Station. Touted as a dessert variety, they are surprisingly more popular in Europe than America, where they are sometimes outshined by the Honeycrisp. The Jonagold, however, should not be overlooked. It has a yellow-green base skin color and a red-orange blush , and makes an excellent apple sauce, is delicious in pies, and can be a perfect addition to a fall salad.
TASTE & RIPENESS:Jonagold apples offer a unique honey-tart flavor, and crispy, juicy nearly yellow flesh. It has a sprightly, juicy flavor like Jonathon and a sweetness and aroma similar to that of Golden Delicious.Good-quality Jonagold apples will be firm with smooth and clean skin. The coloring is bright red over gold.
- 8 slices whole-grain bread
- 1/4 cup low-fat honey mustard
- 2 crisp apples thinly sliced
- 8 ounces low-fat cheddar cheese thinly sliced
- cooking spray
- Preheat panini press on medium heat (if you don't have a panini press, just use a non-stick skillet)
- Lightly spread honey mustard evenly over each slice of bread.
- Layer apple slices and cheese over 4 slices of bread using about 1/2 apple and 2 ounces of cheese for each sandwich.
- Top each with the remaining bread slices.
- Lightly coat panini press (or skillet) with cooking spray.
- Grill each sandwich for 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese has melted and bread has toasted.
- Remove from pan and allow to cool slightly before serving.
Recipe courtesy Best Apples.