We're here to help: 800-387-3100
COMPANY VALUES AND SUSTAINABLE PRACTICES
At The Fruit Company, our goal is to grow food in a way that nurtures the land, protects wildlife and benefits people’s health.
- Our orchard management methods minimize spraying and other environmentally disruptive practices.
- We manage problems in the orchard through practices such as careful mowing and monitoring of growing conditions.
- We use natural predators such as ladybird beetles to eliminate harmful pests when possible.
- We use the least amount of pesticides and fungicides in the most scientific and responsible way.
Agricultural Water Conservation
We can determine how much water is needed to maximize productivity while minimizing water waste by:
- Accurately measuring and monitoring soil moisture.
- Using irrigation flow meters to calculate the efficiency of irrigation systems and identify leaks.
With these methods, we’re able to conserve water and use it efficiently.
Corporate Office Energy Reduction
We have optimized the energy conservation of our office space per the Department of Energy guidelines. Computers are plugged directly into wall outlets and shut off at the end of the shifts. Power cord use is minimized.
We use motion sensor lights in many parts of our facility and we have replaced light bulbs with high efficiency alternatives. Each desk area has a recycling receptacle.
Packaging, Shipping & Marketing Collateral
The bulk of our products are consumable. We use high-quality baskets and tower boxes, which may be reused, re-purposed or recycled.
93% of our wood fiber corrugated gift boxes are made with material supplied by Sustainable Forestry Initiative® (SFI) program participants. The SFI® program participants are committed to sustainable forestry on their own forests and follow strict industry regulations. We use paper fill instead of shipping peanuts or bubble wrap. We encourage consumers to reuse the shipping materials from all of our products.
Health and Safety
In maintaining the corporate office, packing houses and cold storage facilities, The Fruit Company ensures the safety of its employees and the use of resources to reduce the carbon footprint and waste.
We are one of the few gourmet gift providers who are HACCP certified. The Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP), is a system for food production and pharmaceutical safety. The system is endorsed by the Food and Drug Administration and the Department of Agriculture to ensure safe procedures and products.
The Fruit Company complies with current Good Manufacturing Practice regulations mandated by the FDA, the state of Oregon and other governing agencies.
These include but not limited to the following:
- Cleanliness of garments, mandatory hairnet and wash station procedures for employees
- Incoming product inspection stations and strict food storage requirements
- Packing house sanitization and cleanup procedures
- Building inspection and maintenance
- Prevention of cross-contamination and allergen control
- Building security including visitor and contractor login stations
- Mock recall events